Deck 13 Interactive’s New Update for ‘The Other 99’ Challenges Survivors with Increased Difficulty & Improved Performance
Major update for first person action survival horror “The Other 99” developed by independent games studio Burning Arrow, now available on Steam Early Access
Leading Independent video games publisher Deck 13 and games development studio Burning Arrow announced today the availability of a brand-new update for ‘The Other 99’ that brings multiple improvements to its game currently downloadable through Steam Early Access. Based on the feedback received from players engaged in previous versions of the action-horror title, Burning Arrow released this update to fix many of the concerns that were expressed while also making it much more challenging to survive the island.
A list of corrections and enhancements developed and implemented in this new version can be found below:
- New Starting Area.
- Massively reworked Balancing.
- Better interaction for survival with the world (e.g. now you can drink water from rivers, etc..).
- Rework of the Survival Guide (Hunger & Thirst related).
- Overhauled the island with new props populating the environment.
- Rework of the combat.
“It’s great being able to bring such an important update to The Other 99. We’ve taken a lot of the feedback we received on the early builds of our title and worked hard to improve the game in those areas with a focus on the game’s difficulty. With the new AI system that we have completed, it is no longer easy to avoid and bypass enemies, as fights are now much more challenging.” says NAME, co-founder of Burning Arrow.
Burning Arrow also released a frightening new trailer to celebrate the release of the update. It shows the intensity that occurs when exploring the dark and unnerving island, and it captures some of the fierce combat and menacing locations featured throughout the game.
The Other 99 Game Description & Current Features
The Other 99 is a single player, first-person, action-survival game. Ripped from their ordinary life, players awaken on a desolate hebridian island with nothing but a single note that reads: “The only way off the island is through the The Other 99”. Described as a British Battle Royal, Lost meets Fight Club and a digital Lord of the flies, The Other 99 is a game of mystery, exploration, brutal combat, stealthing mechanics and problem solving. But be careful: permadeath is included.
- One objective. Alternate playing styles. Getting off the island is your main objective.
- Survival of the fittest: Do what it takes to get off the island. Follow the cryptic note and butcher your way to freedom. Only thing is.. many of the other 99 have the same idea.
- Mind over matter: Keep focus and lurk amongst the bushes, tactically sabotaging camps and assassinating by the dead of night.
- Discovery: Let animals be animals. Watch from a distance and decipher the mysteries of the island. Maybe there is more to the island than meets the eye.
- Dynamic AI system
- Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Simulations are hard at work in the background determining how AI’s move, kill and survive. This effects the world you play in and provides unique situations every time. Campfires are lit because AI have actually visited them and bodies are there because they have died, the world lives around you.
- Large open world environment to explore
- Pick up a lit torch and discover the lore and extensive backstory of the island through rock engravings, notes and environmental story telling.
- Go where you please! Nothing is stopping you from walking to the other side of the playable area. Well.. Potentially 99 psychologically damaged murderous people.
- Dynamic day-night cycle and ever changing weather system
- Keep track of day and night cycles as this will change visibility on both you and the other 99. Lighting fires at night or running through open fields during the day are decisions you must make.
- Weather can be unforgiving, rain blocking out the sound of footsteps and thunder illuminating the path ahead are elements you can use to your tactical advantage.
- Hunger and thirst
- Maintaining hunger and thirst doesn’t just keep you alive, it ensures you are strong for every encounter you face.
- Explore more efficiently by keeping well hydrated.
- Kill more efficiently by maintaining your nutrition.
- Puzzle and problem solving
- Solve perspective puzzles, collect components and decipher notes. These will lead to greater rewards and bring you closer to understanding what is happening on the island.
About Burning Arrow
Hard hitting games are at our core. We are dedicated, passionate and constantly striving to create the best experiences for our gamers. We are a brand new, innovative games studio located in Cornwall, England. Formed in June 2014 with initial investment and support from Falmouth Launchpad, we have begun production on our first major title.
Deck 13 Interactive GmbH
Deck13 Interactive is one of Germany’s leading NextGen developers with studios based in Frankfurt and Hamburg. Deck13’s award winning portfolio contains top titles like Next Gen multiplatform hit Lords of the Fallen, which sold more than 1 million units. The team consisting of 50 people is currently developing the AAA multiplatform title The Surge which utilizes their home made FLEDGE Engine. The studio’s newly founded unit “Deck13 Games” publishes selected games from independent developers and supports their marketing efforts.